Monday, March 30, 2009

Seeds



There are different ways to plant your garden. Our first year we purchased all seedlings from the nursery except for the corn. This is a good choice when you are just getting started. The next year I tried starting my own seedlings, but I don't have a good indoor natural light location, so I had to carry my plants in and out. I also did not start some of my plants like tomatoes and peppers early enough. I have a grow light on my wish list so that I can start plants more effectively.

I have discovered that most plants do best when they are planted as seeds right in the ground. Especially squash and melons. Plants like, peas, corn, and carrots need to be planted from seeds. I always purchase tomatoes and peppers, and although I plant broccoli from seed, I always end up buying started plants, maybe this will be my lucky broccoli year :)

I buy my seeds a year in advance, so I always have my year supply of seeds. I have read and heard that seeds last well for two years, after that you get fewer seeds germinating. Seeds should be kept in a cool, dark place while you store them.

I buy my seeds from my favorite local nursery. Buy your seeds early this year as many nurseries are seeing increased demand and are expecting to sell out of some seeds.

1 comment:

  1. i'm going to try heirloom seeds this year. unlike hybrid seeds, you can take the seeds from your crop and they will germinate. i'll let you know how it goes. i got them online from burpee. they weren't any more expensive than hybrid seeds.
    i love that you're doing this by the way!

    ReplyDelete